Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A Moment that Changed my Life

-->
A Moment that Changed my Life


It was 4am when I awoke to my bunkmate’s alarm clock’s annoying buzzard sound. By 4:30              we both were marching up the hill to the armory to collect our weapons. As we marched I         was there, but somewhat not there. I felt as if my body was present, but my mind was                         home with my family, safe. I had prayed every night since I was told I was on the list, but my            anxiety and thoughts of the unknown consumed me that early morning. “God!” please keep                 me safe please, please. I promise to be a better daughter, sister, aunt, and friend I said                        myself.   In the midst of my despair, I stepped over it and almost didn’t notice it lying there all      shiny and alone. I examined the shiny object for a few seconds before I bent over and                        curiously picked it up. I was stunned to realize what I was holding that I smiled with great                  relief. A round shaped sliver coin-like object with an Angel on one side and the word                 ‘strength’ on the opposite side.  This one simple moment in my life marked the beginning of a        journey that forever changed my life.  Finding this object in the early morning darkness had                me in astonished. This was a sign that I would not take lightly. I embraced it for what was and     was relieved that he heard my prayers. “I will be okay, I will make it home safe. I will”. I          placed the object in my front left pocket of my cammies right next to my heart, it’s new                      home.                                                                            
I          I soon found myself in a foreign place where the heat was so hot I felt the sweat  dripping                   down my back.  Every night for what was like an eternity in the desert I would look at this       object and pray. The pendant became my strength and reminded me to stay strong and not       fear and so I did, all the way home.


No comments:

Post a Comment